ANOTHER ONE FOR THE BOOKS!!!
A Seen on CTV’s “YOUR MORNING” New Years’ Eve segment
duck over Roasted Sage & Garlic Mashed Cassavas
6 duck leg quarters (thighs and
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup (125 mL) Raquel’s Seasoned
Salt (see recipe)
½ cup (125 mL) duck fat
2 cups (500 mL) Italian salad dressing
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed
1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried tarragon leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock, heated
Guava Rum Sauce
2 cups (500 mL) Guava Bell Pepper Jam
2 Tbsp (30 mL) barbecue sauce
1/2 lemon juice
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground
1/2 cup (125 mL) spiced or dark rum
1 Tbsp (15 mL) diced fresh tarragon
leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line a baking sheet with
parchment paper and set aside.
2. Rinse duck in a large bowl with cold water and 1 Tbsp
(15 mL) white vinegar. Pat dry with paper towels. Season
with seasoned salt.
3. In an 8-quart (8 L) Dutch oven heat the fat over medium- high heat,
and sear the legs on both sides for 3 minutes per side until golden. Set the
4. Add the salad dressing, duck (skin side up) and remaining ingredients
(except Guava Rum Sauce) and bring to a boil, then cover
tightly with a lid.
5. Carefully transfer pot to the oven and braise duck for 1 hour
or until tender when pierced with a knife.
6. Meanwhile, to prepare the guava rum sauce, in a 1-quart
(1 L) saucepan over medium heat, combine jam, barbecue
sauce, lemon zest and juice and pepper and bring to a
boil for 5 minutes. Stir in rum and cook for 3 minutes
more. Set aside.
6. Remove pot from the oven and, using tongs, place duck legs
on the baking sheet.
7. Spoon sauce over duck legs.
8. Adjust oven temperature to broil on high. Transfer baking
sheet to the center rack in the oven and broil, about
1–2 minutes to caramelize the sauce. Garnish with
tarragon leaves and serve.