Mussels in Coconut-Lemongrass & Tomato Broth
A Mediterranean dish with a flavourful Caribbean broth, the perfect fusion!
2 lbs (1 kg) mussels
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, diced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemongrass paste
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
2 cups (500 mL) diced ripe tomatoes
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 bay leaf
1 tsp (10 mL) fresh thyme leaves
2-3 red Thai chili pepper, finely diced
1 tsp (10 mL) crushed red peppers (optional)
2 cups (500 mL) Caribbean coconut milk
4 cups (1 L) seafood or vegetable stock, heated
Juice of 2 limes
Salt to taste
1. Prepare mussels by scrubbing the shells on both sides with a steel wool,
rinse in cold water, discard broken or opened shells.
2. In a wide-bottomed 5-quart (5L) pot, add oil over medium heat.
Add onions and cook for 2 minutes, add garlic, lemongrass, ginger and cook
for 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Add kaffir and bay leaf, thyme peppers, milk and stir. Add the already
heated stock to the pot stir, adjust with salt to taste.
5. Add the mussels and cover with a lid slightly ajar and steam until all shells
Are open (discard any unopened shells.)
6. Garnish with parsley and serve with warm crusty bread.