My Bahamian Conch Fritters
Conch fritters are the most requested appetizers throughout
The Bahamas. They’re lip-smacking good, and a great starter
for any meal.
2 Queen conchs, diced
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
½ medium onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/4 cup (60 mL) diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red bell pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper sauce
2 cups (500 mL) water or seafood stock
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Raquel’s Seasoned Salt
Canola oil for deep frying
1 recipe Raquel’s GoomBay Sauce
1. Put conchs in a bowl and set aside.
Add flour and baking powder to a medium bowl. Add onion, celery, green and
red bell peppers, garlic, thyme and mix well.
2. Add paste, ketchup, pepper sauce, mix while pouring in the water or stock to form
the batter. Add the conch meat and fold, add the seasoned salt and mix well.
3. In a 3-quart (3 L) straight-sided pot, add 3 inches (8 cm) of canola oil over medium-high heat. Increase temperature to 325˚F (160˚C). (Attach a clip-on frying thermometer to gauge
4. Use a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop to drop batter into the oil. The fritters will stick to the bottom of the pot so use a slotted spoon to release, allowing fritters to float to the
top. Turn occasionally with the spoon and let fry until golden and cooked inside, about 3–4 minutes.
5. Remove fritters and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
6. Keep warm and serve immediately with my GoomBay Sauce.
Raquel’s GoomBay Sauce
GoomBay Summers was the name of my catering company. The name
pays homage to this vibrant festival that I enjoyed immensely in
my youth. This sauce is simply extraordinary as a dipping sauce for
seafood and fries, or as a spread for sandwiches.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sambal oelek
1 Tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar
1 fresh mint leaf, diced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) diced fresh dill
1 fresh basil leaf, diced
1 tsp (5 mL) ketchup
1. Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Store in the
refrigerator for up to 1 week.