Curry Chicken with Caribbean Sweet Potatoes
CURRY POWDER SPICE BLEND
Makes ½ cup (125 mL)
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 ½ Tbsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground fenugreek
1 Tbsp coarse ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 lbs (1.4 kg) chicken parts (legs, thighs
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
½ cup red wine vinegar, divided
1/3 cup (80 mL) Raquel’s Seasoned Salt
6 Tbsp (90 mL) olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, sliced
2 large Caribbean sweet potatoes, cubed
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 cups (500 mL) diced canned tomatoes
1 bay leaf
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock, heated
2 Tbsp (30 mL) ketchup (optional)
1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper, optional
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all spices in an airtight food container and shake well. Set aside.
2. Rinse chicken in a large bowl with cold water and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar, drain. Add ¼ cup (60 mL) red vinegar and season parts with seasoned salt on both sides.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 3 Tbsp (45 mL) oil over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ofcurry powder and cook for 1 minute to release the oils. Add chicken parts skin side down and brown on both sides, for approximately 2-3 minutes. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
4. In an 8-quart (8 L) pot, heat 3 Tbsp (45 mL) oil over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) curry powder and cook until fragrant for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add onion, potatoes, and cook for 3 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cookfor 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, bay leaf, thyme, hot stock, remaining red wine vinegar bring to a boil, lower to simmer, cover with lid and let cook
6. Add ketchup for a thicker curry sauce, pepper (optional), and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
TIP: Serve with Steamed Coconut Jasmine Rice,
Coleslaw and plantain.
Steamed Coconut Jasmine Rice
Your family and friends will crave a second helping of this aromatic
and nutty rice.
4 cups (1 L) uncooked jasmine rice
3 Tbsp (45 mL) coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tsp (10 mL) minced ginger
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) boiling hot water
1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk powder
1 Tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar
1. In a medium bowl, cover rice with water and rinse. Drain
and set aside.
2. In a 3-quart (3 L) pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
3. Increase heat to high. Stir in rice and salt and toast for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water, milk powder and sugar. Reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cook rice, covered, for 15 minutes
or until water evaporates.
4. Fluff with a fork and serve at once.