Caribbean Piña Colada Rum Cake
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 Tbsp (15 mL) All purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) diced walnut pieces (optional)
4-6 pineapple slices
½ cup (125 mL) coconut flakes, toasted
2 cups (500 mL) All Purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup (125 mL) custard or vanilla powder
½ cup (125 mL) butter softened
1 1/3 (330 mL) cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
1 teaspoon (5 mL) almond extract (optional)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) dark rum
¾ cup (180 mL) dark rum
¾ cup (180 mL) milk
1 cup (250 mL) water
1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
¾ cup (180 mL) dark or spiced rum
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 10-cup (2.5 L) Bundt pan with butter. Dust with flour, knocking off any excess flour from the pan.
2. Add the nuts to the pan if using, set aside. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and grill
The pineapple slices, cut in half, set aside.
3. In a large bowl sift flour, salt, baking and custard powder, set aside.
4. Using a handheld mixer (or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on first speed), cream the butter and sugar together. Add the oil to the mixture with the motor running. Use a flat spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Whisk 4 eggs in separate bowl while adding 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. 6. Pour 1 tablespoon of rum into the eggs, add the milk to the mixture and continue to whisk.
7. Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar and continue to mix.
8. Slowly pour in the egg mixture until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
9. Pour half of the batter into the pan, add the pineapple slices over the batter, layer with toasted coconut flakes. Pour remaining batter to cover. Spread the batter evenly with a spatula.
10. Transfer pan to the centre rack of the oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until the top springs back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then hold a plate over the pan while flipping to release the cake.
11. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients (except the rum) for the rum sauce. After the sugar dissolves and the butter melts, add the rum and cook for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat, poke holes in the cake with a toothpick, and pour the sauce over the cake. Serve with vanilla ice cream.