#alonetogether #stayhome #oxtail #bahamastourism #limabeans #bahamianfood #dininginparadise
Braised Oxtails with Lima Beans
Our traditional Sunday dinners would not be the same without a
scrumptious, falling-off-the-bone oxtail dish. Serve over Steamed
Coconut Jasmine Rice and Plantains…Yes please!
3 lbs (1.4 kg) oxtails
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
1/4 cup (60 mL) Raquel’s Seasoned Salt
(see recipe link)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/4 cup (60 mL) + 3 Tbsp (45 mL)
canola oil, divided
2 Tbsp (30 mL) + 1 tsp (5 mL) browning
1 medium sweet or red onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
8 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups (500 mL) diced tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
3 Tbsp (45 mL) Worcestershire sauce
4 cups (1 L) reserved beef stock
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp (15 mL) crushed allspice berries
1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
2 cups (500 mL) cooked large white or green
1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim any excess fat from oxtails and rinse in a large bowl of cold water and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar. Drain and season with seasoned salt.
2. In a 6-quart (6 L) Dutch oven (or follow instruction of a pressure cooker), add water to cover, bouillon cubes, oxtails with red wine vinegar marinade and cook over medium-high heat until oxtails are tender, approximately 60 minutes. Drain and reserve the flavourful stock and set the oxtails aside on a plate.
3. In a wide-bottomed 6-quart (6 L) pot, heat 1/4 cup (60 mL) oil over medium-high heat. Add browning sauce and sear oxtails on both sides in batches, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside on a plate.
4. Add 3 Tbsp (45 mL) oil to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce and reserved stock, bring to a boil, add oxtails and remaining ingredients then lower to simmer. Cover with a lid that is slightly ajar and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve over steamed rice or Caribbean Mashed Potatoes.