#cornbread #skilletcornbread #islandcornbread #catisland #bahamasindependence #dininginparadise #bahamastourism #johnnycake
Native Skillet Cornbread
Sour cream and coconut milk make this recipe the most luscious and decadent cornbread, baked on the grill.
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) yellow cornmeal
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
2 1/4 cups (560 mL) coconut milk
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen grated
1/4 jalapeno, diced
(seeds removed and discarded)
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C), or the grill to 375˚F (190˚F).
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and form a well in the center.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, coconut milk and bacon drippings. Pour 2 cups (500 mL) of this mixture into the center of the flour mixture and mix well to combine.
4. Fold in bacon, corn, coconut and jalapeno (if using).
5. In a 10-inch (25 cm) cast-iron skillet, melt butter. Pour batter into the skillet and level with a spatula. Pour remaining milk mixture over batter and bake, about 30–35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
6. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.