#frieddumpling #jamaicanfood #dumplings #cornmealdumplings #streetfoods
Golden Fried Dumplings
These little heavenly dumplings are authentically Jamaican, and the perfect
Complement to Brown Stew Chicken, Ackee & Saltfish, Curry or just as a
Makes 36 dumplings
4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 ½ Tbsp baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup water, room temperature
1. Preheat a deep fryer with oil to 325°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter. Mix with hand while breaking up the pieces of butter into the flour mixture.
3. Add the milk, water to a liquid measuring cup. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry flour mixture while mixing with your hand to form a ball of dough.
4. Dust a clean surface with flour and knead the dough for about 10 times. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
5. Pinch off 2-inch (5 cm) pieces of dough. Tuck in edges and round out into rolls. Press each roll in the center down to half its size.
6. Carefully drop each dumpling into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the fryer or pot. Fry the dumplings on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes per side until golden and cooked through. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel, serve at once.