Serve this dish in ovenproof crock bowls and make a grand
entrance to the dining table with a platter of the most enticing,
sizzling-cheese sauce, oozing around delectable seafood.
1 lb (450 g) seafood medley (scallops, clams and mussels)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) seafood seasoning
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
1 sweet onion, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
3 cups (750 mL) elbow pasta
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter, cut into cubes
4 cups (1 L) grated white cheddar
2 cups (500 mL) evaporated milk
3 cups (750 mL) whipping (or heavy) cream
2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grated Parmigiano-
1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
2 cups (500 mL) grated Gruyère cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste
Crusty toasted baguettes
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
2. In a large bowl, toss together seafood, seasoning salt and lemon juice.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Par-cook seafood for 3-5 minutes. Set aside in a small dish.
4. Fill a 4-quart (4 L) pot halfway with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and pasta and cook until al dente, about 8–10 minutes. Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl.
6. Add butter and 2 cups (500 mL) of the white cheddar to the bowl and mix to melt.
7. Add evaporated milk and half of the cream and mix. Add eggs and mix well.
8. Add remaining cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sour cream and mix well.
9. Divide pasta into ovenproof bowls or ramekins. Divide and place seafood over pasta and then cover with Gruyere cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and oozing. Drizzle with garlic oil (optional) and serve at once with crusty toasted baguettes.