This is a perfect accompaniment to any stew or soup. Sweet Caribbean potatoes
are combined with flour and earthy spices to form a bread that is divine
Makes 1- 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish
1/2 cup (125 mL) lard with butter, cubed, divided
2 large Caribbean sweet potatoes (reddish skin)
1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen grated coconut, thawed
1 ½ cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) water, divided
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan with 3 Tbsp (45 mL) of the lard. Sprinkle with a little flour and shake off any excess flour.
2. Peel potatoes and place in a medium bowl with cold water to cover, then grate potatoes on the fine side of a grater or in the bowl of a food processor with the fine-shredding side of the wheel attachment. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
3. Add grated coconut, sugar, salt and 1 cup (250 mL) water and mix well with your hands. Add flour and remaining lard and continue mixing thoroughly.
4. Add black pepper, cinnamon and remaining (125 mL) water (the consistency should feel like a pudding, add more water, if needed).
5. Transfer mixture to the baking pan and bake in the center of the oven for 2 hours (cover loosely with foil after 1 hour to maintain the color). Let cool to a warm temperature and enjoy.