These dumplings are so silky and light that you will barely have to
chew. There are two variations that are really fun to make; our
popular Flag Dumplings (or rolled dumplings) are thin and round, and Spinners resemble
little pigtails. Add it to your favorite soups and stews or to
dessert sauces for the ultimate comfort food.
Makes 1/2 lb (225 g)
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Slowly add
water while mixing with your hand to form the dough.
2. Dust a clean surface with flour and knead the dough about 10 times.
3. Pinch off 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces of dough. Roll each piece
back and forth on the surface (dusted with flour) with your
hand into pigtails or spinners.
VARIATION: For Flag Dumplings (rolled dumplings), separate dough in half, dust a clean surface and roll out 1/8 inch thick with a rolling pin, cut out 3-inch circular dumplings with a cookie cutter or rectangular dumplings.
Set aside on a plate lined with parchment paper. Drop each piece into
the soup separately.
Island Gurl Seasoning Salt
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fine sea salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic powder
1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) smoked paprika
Makes 1/2 cup (125 mL)
1. Place all ingredients in a small dish and mix thoroughly with
a fork. Keep in an airtight container.
Tobago’s national dish Curry Crab & Dumplings is a gastronomic delight…A scrumptious and savoury coconut curry dish with exotic spices and silky dumplings.
Makes 1 cup (250 mL)
1/4 bunch chives
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped Italian parsley leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1/4 bunch fresh culantro (shado beni)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
¼ cup (80 mL) red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) water
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and purée.
2 lbs. snow crab clusters, cracked
½ cup (60 mL) graham masala, divided
½ cup (250 mL) Caribbean curry powder, divided
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Island Gurl Seasoned Salt, divided (see recipe)
1 recipe green seasoning
3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
8 fresh curry leaves
2 tsp (10 mL) turmeric powder
½ sweet onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic, divided
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced or ginger powder
1 can Caribbean coconut milk
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dark brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL) diced ripe tomatoes
1L seafood or vegetable stock, heated (substitute with water)
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, diced (optional) or whole (no heat)
½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) green onions for garnishing
1. Place crab clusters in a large bowl, add half of the graham masala, curry powder, and seasoned salt. Add green seasoning and mix the crab well in the marinade with hands or a wooden spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
2. Prepare the dumplings and cook for 10-15 minutes in a pot of boiling water with 2 teaspoons of salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 5-6 quart wide-bottomed pot or Dutch Oven. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute or until it starts to pop, add curry leaves, turmeric, remaining graham masala, curry power and cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring or until fragrant to release the oils.
4. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, cook for 3 minutes, add garlic, ginger cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, sugar and stir. Add tomatoes, remaining seasoned salt to taste and cook for an additional minute.
5. Bring up to a boil, add crabs, stock, pepper (if using) cover with a lid slightly ajar, lower heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add dumplings, and slurry (see *tip) if you prefer a thicker gravy to coat the back of a spoon and cook for 5-8 minutes.
6. Season to taste if necessary, garnish with green onions and serve at once.
Tip: Slurry Recipe
2 Tbsp (30 mL) All-purpose flour
4 Tbsp (60 mL) water
1. Place flour and water in a small dish, mix to make a paste. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of the hot curry liquid into the paste to temper, then add to the Curry Crab & Dumpling, let cook for an additional 5 minutes to thicken.