Unlike any other Caribbean cakes, Tres Leches is a moist, rich and decadent yellow cake that is
flavoured with three types of milks.
½ cup (125 mL) 35% heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (250 mL) coconut or evaporated milk
1. Add all ingredients to a pitcher and mix well
1L heavy cream
2 Tbsp (30 mL) powdered sugar
1 cup (250 mL) Maraschino cherries for garnishing
1Tbsp (15 mL) butter
1 Tbsp (15 mL) All-purpose flour, for dusting
2 cups (500 mL) All Purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup (125 mL) custard or vanilla powder
½ cup (125 mL) butter softened
1 1/3 (330 mL) cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
1 teaspoon (5 mL) almond extract (optional)
1 ½ cups (375 mL) milk
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 13- x 9- inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan with butter. Dust with flour, knocking off any excess flour from the pan.
2. In a large bowl sift flour, salt, baking and custard powder, set aside.
4. Using a handheld mixer (or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on first speed), cream the butter and sugar together. Add the oil to the mixture with the motor running. Use a flat spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Whisk 4 eggs in separate bowl while adding 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. 6. Add the milk to the mixture and continue to whisk.
7. Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar and continue to mix.
8. Slowly pour in the egg mixture until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
9. Pour the batter into the pan.
10. Transfer pan to the center rack of the oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until the top springs back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, poke the cake all over with a skewer or toothpick to make holes.
11. Pour the three-milk mixture over and around the sides of the cake, cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator while you make the icing.
12. Add the 35% cream to the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a whisk, with the motor running on the second speed add the sugar, whip until formed into stiff peaks. Spread icing evenly over the top of the cake with a silicone spatula and decorate with maraschino cherries.
Refrigerate until ready to serve, the cake is tastier when made a day in advance.