Makes 6 plantain boats
6 ripe but firm plantains (yellow with a few black spots)
1 cup (250 mL) Island Gurl’s Mango Jerk Sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 ½ cups (375 mL) cooked red kidney beans
¼ piece onion sliced and cut in half
2 cloves garlic, diced
½ cup (125 mL) diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) molasses
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground allspice berries
1 tsp (5 mL) Caribbean hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (500 mL) cooked coconut rice (see recipe) https://www.islandgurlfoods.com/post/coconut-jasmine-rice
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Spray a 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish with oil and set aside.
2. Remove and discard plantain skins, brush generously with sauce, place in baking dish,
cover loosely with foil, transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
3. Heat a saucepan with oil over medium heat, cook onions for 3 minutes, add garlic, cook for one minute.
4. Add tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes, add all other ingredients for beans (except rice), stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Carefully cut two lengthwise slits (1/4-inch apart) down center of each plantain, being careful not to cut through ends or bottom. Use a small spoon to hollow out the center (you may dice and add it to the beans) for stuffing.
6. In a small bowl mix 1 ½ cups of rice with ½ cup of beans (or your preferred ratio), use a spoon or a melon baller to stuff the center of the plantains. Keep warm in oven, garnish with tomatoes, onions and serve at once.