Hints of earthy jerk seasonings balanced with a creamy bell pepper sauce complements this salutary pasta dish that is a vibrant as the Jamaican Flag.
1 (500 g) package penne pasta
1 cup (250 mL) roasted bell peppers, in jar
½ cup (125 mL) dairy free sour cream
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
¼ each red, orange, yellow and green bell pepper, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup (60 mL) Jamaican jerk sauce
2 cups (500 mL) coconut cream
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Island Gurl Seasoned Salt Mix (see recipe)
1 cup grated vegan mozzeralla or parmesan cheese, divided
½ cup (125 mL) green onions sliced on the diagonal, divided
Tri-color pepper to taste
1. Follow package directions to cook the pasta al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water, drain
2. Add roasted bell peppers with the sour cream to the bowl of a food processor, purée until smooth. Set aside.
3. Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat, add the bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add jerk sauce and stir.
4. Add cream, roasted pepper and sour cream mixture, reserve pasta water, thyme, stir and bring up to simmer.
5. Season to taste with seasoned salt, add cheese to melt, garnish with green onions, peppers and serve at once.