These tasty veal turnovers are “dressed to impress” and simply unforgettable. Make a batch as it stores well in freezer and within 25 minutes these appetizers will impress the most discerning guest.
Makes 20 Turnovers
Green Seasoning Yogurt Dip
Makes 3 cups
1/4 bunch chives
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped Italian parsley leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro or shado beni, optional
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/3 cup (80 mL) white wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups (500 mL) plain Greek yogurt
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and purée until smooth.
1 pastry (or dough) press
1 package phyllo, thawed
1/3 cup (80 mL) olive oil, divided
2 lbs (1 kg) ground veal
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup (60 mL) diced fresh Italian parsley
½ cup (125 mL) golden raisins
1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Italian mélange blend
1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
2 hard cooked eggs, diced
1/2 cup (125 mL) panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (250 mL) butter, melted
¼ cup (60 mL) black sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
2. Place phyllo layers on a plate and cover with a damp towel.
3. In a large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add veal and cook, while breaking
up the pieces with a wooden spoon for about 5–10 minutes. Season with salt and garlic
powder. Transfer to a bowl, return skillet to heat add 2 Tbsp olive oil.
4. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic, bell pepper, parsley raisins and cook
for an additional 3 minutes.
5. Return veal to the skillet, add cheese to melt, Italian mélange, stir in ketchup, add eggs, add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Remove from head, fold in panko and set aside.
6. To prepare the turnovers, brush 3 phyllo sheets with butter and stack together.
Use the back of the pastry press (or a pizza cutter) to cut out circles of phyllo the size of the press.
7. Center the phyllo on the bottom of the open pastry press, place 2 Tbsp of the veal mixture in the center of the phyllo, close the pastry press to seal. Remove the sealed turnover, cut a small slit in the center, sprinkle with sesame seeds and set aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Repeat with the others.
9. Transfer to the oven and Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Serve with Green Seasoning Yogurt Dip.