CURRY POWDER SPICE BLEND
Makes 1/3 cup (80 mL)
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 ½ Tbsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground fenugreek
1 Tbsp coarse ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cups (1 L) uncooked jasmine rice
3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 tsp (10 mL) fine sea salt
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) vegetable
stock, or water heated
1 whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper (optional)
1. Add all spice ingredients to a small dish, mix with a
fork to blend the curry powder and set aside.
2. Rinse rice in a bowl under cold running water, until water
runs clear. Drain and set aside.
3. In a 3-quart (3 L) pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic,
cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add curry powder, cook for
an additional minute while stirring.
4. Increase heat to medium-high, add rice, salt, and continue
stirring to toast and mix with the curry powder for 3 minutes.
5. Add thyme, hot stock to cover by ½ inch, pepper if using.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover with
a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until water evaporates and
rice is cooked (not grainy). Fluff with a fork and serve at once.