Here’s an alternative recipe to beef brisket done in a fraction of the time, it’s falling off the bone delicious!
Makes 4- 6
5.7 lbs (2.6 kg) boneless beef ribs
1/2 cup (125 mL) Island Gurl’s seasoning salt (see recipe)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 Tbsp (15 mL) crushed allspice berries
2 cups (500 mL) Italian salad dressing
1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed
1 bay leaf
2 cups (500 mL) guava paste
1 cup (500 mL) barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) bourbon
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sambal oelek
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
4 sandwich buns
1. In an 8-quart (8 L) pot halfway filled with water, add seasoned salt, garlic,
all spice berries, salad dressing, sugar and bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat. Add ribs. Reduce heat to simmer, cook for about 60 minutes (or sous vide for 2 hours) until tender.
2. In a 1-quart (1 L) saucepan, add guava paste and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water over medium heat and mix, breaking up the paste until it is smooth with no lumps. Add remaining
ingredients, mix, add to medium stainless-steel bowl and set aside.
3. Transfer ribs to a hot grill and flip over for grill marks on both sides (3 minutes per side).
4. Shred or chop the meat, add to bowl with sauce and toss. Add generous amount to buns top with coleslaw and serve at once.
Here’s a taste of paradise with fresh, bright citrusy flavors.
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly shredded
1/4 head red cabbage, thinly shredded
1 carrot, grated
3 green onions, thinly sliced on
1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut flakes
1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins
1/4 cup (60 mL) crushed pineapple
2 cups (500 mL) mayonnaise
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 mL) coconut water
1 cup (250 mL) pineapple juice or soda
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pineapple shell, hollowed, for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Adjust seasoning and serve in a hollow pineapple shell.