These southern-style baked beans are guaranteed to be a real wow factor
at your next picnic or summer barbecue.
4 cups (1 L) small navy beans
1 lb (450 kg) smoked ham hock
½ sweet onion, diced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) garlic, minced
1 serrano pepper, diced optional
1 Tbsp (15 mL) mustard powder
½ cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) molasses
½ cup (125 mL) ketchup
¼ cup (60 mL) whisky barbecue sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Island Gurl’s Seasoned Salt (see recipe)
2 tsp (10 mL) hickory liquid smoke
¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
1. Soak beans in a large bowl overnight with water to cover. Rinse to remove excess
starch, discard water.
2. In a 6-quart (6 L) Dutch oven, combine beans, ham hock with water to cover and
bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Add onion, garlic, serrano pepper, reduce heat to simmer, cover with lid slightly ajar,
cook for 1 ½ hours checking occasionally to replenish the water to cover by ½-inch.
4. Remove ham and shred or cut into bite-size pieces. Discard the bone and return meat to
5. Preheat oven to 300°F. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir, add ½ cup of water
and bake uncovered for 2 hours. Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
TIP: Store leftover baked beans in a large freezer bag for up to 3 weeks.
Thaw overnight in refrigerator and reheat to serve.