There’s nothing like a palatial Thanksgiving spread on the table, and this unforgettable stuffing is the perfect complement to a succulent turkey dinner.
1 tsp (5 mL) ground fennel seeds
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
2 cups (500 mL) ground Italian sausage
1 Tbsp (15 mL) IGF Seasoned Salt (see recipe)
¼ cup (60 mL) butter
½ medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) ground sage
1 Tbsp (15 mL) diced fresh Italian parsley
½ cup (125 mL) diced apricots
6 slices coconut or brioche bread, toasted, cubed
½ cup (125 mL) plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Sage leaves as lemon peel as garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). In a small skillet, toast fennel seeds over low heat until fragrant for 1-2 minutes. Set aside on a small plate and let cool, grind seeds in a spice or coffee grinder.
2. Heat a medium skillet with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook while separating the pieces, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with half of the seasoned salt, fennel, drain and set aside in a small bowl.
3. Add butter to the skillet, let melt. Add onion, garlic, celery and cook for 3 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, add all ingredients, mix, thoroughly and adjust seasoning. Transfer to a casserole or 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
5. Add sliced butter over the stuffing, cover with glass lid or aluminum foil paper. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden 30 minutes. Garnish with sage leaves and lemon peel.