A quintessential West African Senegalese stew that’s simply divine. It’s a succulent Canadian Beef pot roast cut into chunks and braised in a tasty and spicy tomato-based peanut stew.
- 4 lb (2 kg) Canadian Boneless Beef Blade Roast, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) kosher salt (approx)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon pepper, or coarse black pepper
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) canola or peanut oil, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dark brown sugar
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced tomatoes, canned
- 4 cups (1L) beef broth, heated
- 1 cup (250 mL) natural creamy peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, diced (or leave whole for less heat)
- 2 Caribbean sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby carrots
Peanut Gremolata Garnish
- 1 lemon, zested into thin 1-inch (2.5 cm) long strips
- ½ cup (125 mL) roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) curly parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Place beef cubes on a large plate or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Season generously all over with salt and lemon pepper, set aside.
2. Heat 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or enamelled cast-iron roaster. Add sugar and cook, stirring, until melted. Add beef cubes, in batches, and sear on all sides, for about 3 minutes per side, until caramelized. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat with remaining beef.
3. Add remaining oil to pot. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from pot, for about 3 minutes.
4. Gradually whisk about half of the hot broth into peanut butter in a medium bowl. Stir peanut butter mixture and remaining hot broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pot; stir in bay leaf and Scotch bonnet pepper.
5. Cover and cook in preheated 350°F oven for 1½ hours. Carefully stir in sweet potatoes and carrots. Cover, return to oven and cook for 30 minutes or until beef is fork-tender and vegetables are tender.
6. Peanut Gremolata: Meanwhile, combine lemon zest, peanuts, parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
7. Remove stew from oven and skim off any fat from the top. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle stew into a large bowl and garnish with Peanut Gremolata.
Tip: At the end of cooking, if you prefer a thicker stew, ladle 1 cup (250 mL) of the hot liquid from the stew into a bowl and whisk in an additional ⅓ cup (75 mL) peanut butter; stir back into stew and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes.