A delectable dish that marries the best of two soul food recipes with an appealing
marbling of collard greens throughout the cornbread.
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) yellow cornmeal
½ cup (125 mL) light brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
1 large egg
1 cup creamed corn, canned
½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 cups (500 mL) packed chopped collard greens, stems removed, cooked
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 cup (250 g) cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, mix and form a well in the center.
- In another small bowl add the wet ingredients and whisk together. Pour into the center of the flour mixture and mix well to combine.
- Fold in the corns, collard greens, and cheese.
- Place a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet over low heat and melt 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of butter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and level with a spatula. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.