Cornbread is a quintessential staple rooted in southern cuisine, and this buttermilk cornbread will have you craving for more.
2 strips of Ontario turkey bacon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Cook turkey bacon in an air fryer or skillet until crispy, dice and set aside.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, mix and form a well in the center.
- In another small bowl add buttermilk, vanilla and egg and whisk together. Pour into the center of the flour mixture and mix well to combine.
- Fold in the bacon, and corn.
- Place a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet over low heat and melt 2 tbsp of butter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and level with a spatula. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Enjoy alongside Southern Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey