A moist, rich and nutty cake soaked with a buttery dark rum sauce, and pina colada frosting.
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
2 cups (500 mL) All Purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup (250 mL) ground pistachio
½ cup (125 mL) butter softened
1 1/3 (330 mL) cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 teaspoon (10 mL) vanilla
¾ cup (180 mL) milk
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dark or spiced rum
½ cup (125 mL) pistachio butter
1 cup (250 mL) water
1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
¼ cup (60 mL) sugar
¾ cup (180 mL) dark or spiced rum
Pina Colada Frosting
1 cup (250 mL) Coco lopez
2 Tbsp (30 mL) spiced rum
1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) whole pistachios for garnishing
Pineapple wedges, dried hibiscus petals, cherries for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 10-cup (2.5 L) Bundt pan with butter.
2. In a large bowl sift flour, salt, baking and ground pistachios, set aside.
3. Using a handheld mixer (or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on first speed), cream the butter and sugar together. Add the oil to the mixture with the motor running. Use a flat spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Whisk 4 eggs in separate bowl while adding vanilla extract. Add milk, rum, and whisk.
5. Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar and mix.
6. Slowly pour in the egg mixture, add pistachio butter, mix just until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
7. Pour the batter into the pan, transfer to the center rack of the oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until the top springs back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 8. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then hold a plate over the pan while flipping to release the cake.
9. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients (except the rum) for the rum sauce. After the sugar dissolves and the butter melts, add the rum and simmer for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat, poke holes in the cake with a toothpick, and pour the sauce over the cake to steep.
10. Add all ingredients for the frosting to a small bowl and mix with a hand-held mixer until smooth and creamy. Pour frosting on top of the cake, let drain down the sides. Garnish with pistachios, hibiscus petals (optional). Serve with pineapple wedges, and cherries.