AS SEEN ON BT – If you ever wondered what dreams are made of, these light veal summer canapes complemented with creamy whipped-horseradish cream would be it. Serve warm or cold.
½ cup whipped cream cheese, room temperature
2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared horseradish
½ lb Ontario Veal Cutlets
1 cup (250 mL) Italian salad vinaigrette
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
1 loaf French baguette, sliced ¼ inch thick
½ cup prepared horseradish cream
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
(with roasted garlic, optional) for garnishing
chives for garnishing
- Add vinaigrette to a large food storage bag or small covered glass bowl, add veal cutlets and store in refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F/190˚C. Add ingredients for horseradish cream to a small bowl, whisk and set aside.
- Remove veal from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking, transfer to a plate, season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over baguettes, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and toast for 10-15 minutes turning halfway through baking time. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Heat a medium skillet with oil over medium-high heat, sear the veal on both sides, 90 seconds per side, or until an instant read thermometer reaches an internal temperature of
- 130°F (54°C) for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 3 minutes, cut into bite size pieces.
- Spread an equal amount of horseradish cream on each toast, drizzle with the oil. Place a slice or two of veal on top of the horseradish cream, drizzle with the oil, garnish with chives, serve at once.
Source: Chef Raquel Fox (IslandGurlFoods.com)