AS SEEN ON BT – It’s my mother-in-law’s sumptuous salad that’s a meal in itself. Loaded with fresh Ontario produce and proteins to celebrate farm to fork at it’s best! Serve it up like a lasagna and watch it disappear.
Makes 6-8 servings
Creamy Avocado Dressing
2 cups (500 mL) mayonnaise
1 ripe avocado, quartered
1/4 cup (60 mL) half and half cream (10%)
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
Salt and crushed peppercorns to taste
1 head romaine lettuce, cored, rinsed, and dried, divided
½ iceberg lettuce, rinsed and dried, divided
2 cups (500 mL) canned Ontario black or navy beans, rinsed, divided
2 cups (250 mL) prepared Creamy Avocado Dressing, divided
2 cups turkey breast, cooked and sliced, divided
1 medium red onion, sliced and pickled (optional), divided
4 Ontario eggs hard-boiled and sliced, divided
½ lb (225 g) Ontario asparagus, grilled, cut into 2-inch pieces, divided
6 slices turkey bacon, diced and air-fried crispy in oven
½ cup (125 mL) Ontario cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta or Gorgonzola cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) roasted sunflower seeds as garnish (optional)
- Add ingredients for dressing to a blender or food processor, blend, Set aside. Store
in a sterilized jar kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Layer romaine leaves in two pieces, cut in half, repeat with the others. Layer half of the romaine to cover the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Add layered pieces of iceberg lettuce over romaine, add half of the beans.
- Drizzle 1 cup of the dressing over the lettuce and beans. Add half each turkey, onion, eggs, asparagus, turkey bacon, add ½ cup dressing.
- Repeat the layers starting with the lettuces, ending with the garnishes of tomatoes, cheese
and sunflower seeds.
- Cover with wrap and refrigerate overnight for the flavors to set. Before serving drizzle remaining ½ cup dressing (optional) or serve on the side.
Source: Chef Raquel Fox (islandgurlfoods.com)