Andros is referred to as “The land of crabs” and rightfully so as these land crabs are
a Bahamian delicacy, with a coconut flavour reminiscent of their diet.
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
2 cups (500 mL) lump crabmeat
½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lime
½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL) panko breadcrumbs
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 cloves garlic, diced
¼ cup (60 mL) diced red bell pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika, divided.
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour for dusting
1. Preheat a deep fryer with oil to 350˚F (180˚C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Form crab cakes to desired size, set aside on a plate lined with parchment and dusted with
4. Lightly dust cakes with flour, then transfer to the basket of a deep fryer and fry until golden on
both sides for about 3 minutes per side. Set aside on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet
lined with parchment and keep warm.
5. Serve accompanied with Guava Bell Pepper Jam and Sweet Peppery Tartar Sauce.
Sweet Peppery Tartar Sauce
This sauce is a perfect accompaniment to seafood.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
2 cups (500 mL) mayonnaise with olive oil
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
½ cup (125 mL) dill pickles, diced
1/4 piece roasted red bell pepper, puréed
1/4 cup (60 mL) sweet relish
1 Tbsp (15 mL) capers
fine sea salt to taste
1. Add mayonnaise to a small bowl, add mustard, lemon juice and whisk.
2. Add pickles, puréed bell pepper, relish, capers, and mix. Taste and adjust
with salt if necessary.
3. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.