AS SEEN ON BT – A mouth-watering barbecue unlike no other to celebrate Caribana. These delectable next level wing drumettes are a savoury and citrussy mango flavored delight enhanced by Cassareep, Guyana’s pride ingredient made from cassava root.
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fine sea salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic powder
1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
3 lbs. chicken wing drumettes
3 cups (750 mL) Rubicon Mango Juice, divided
½ each lime and lemon juice
2 tsp (10 mL) Cassareep or Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
6 sprigs thyme leaves
Mango slices for garnishing
Lemon and lime wedges for garnishing
1. In a small airtight container, add spices and shake well to mix the seasoned salt.
2. Place chicken drumettes in a 13×9-inch baking dish, season sparingly with the seasoned salt, store remaining salt at room temperature.
3. In a medium bowl, add 2 cups of mango juice, citrus juices, Cassareep, and mix. Pour over chicken, cover and place at the bottom of the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator an hour before grilling the meat.
4. Drain the marinade, add to a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add remaining 1 cup of mango juice, whisk in cornstarch, bring up to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside half for glazing and remaining half for dipping.
4. Fire up the grill to medium-high, place chicken over direct heat for grill marks, brush with marinade. Grill, basting and turning occasionally until done or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers at 165°F (74°C).
5. Serve on a platter with additional Mango-Citrus Dipping Sauce.