These unctuous devilled eggs are over the top with well-balanced flavours. They’re guaranteed
to make an impressive entrance at your next cocktail party.
Makes: 12 servings
• 1 cup (250 mL) water
• 1 cup (250 mL) honey
• 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 1-inch piece of peeled ginger
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Sriracha sauce
To prepare the syrup, heat a small saucepan with water and honey over medium- high
heat, add thyme, ginger, and bring to a boil. Stir and lower to simmer for 15 minutes or until
the syrup thickens to coat the back of a spoon, add Sriracha and stir, remove from heat.
Remove and discard thyme, ginger.
Tip: You may simply add thyme sprigs to 2 cups of maple syrup overnight in an airtight
container. Remove sprigs before serving.
• 2 tsp (10 mL) fine sea salt
• 2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar
• 6 Ontario Eggs
• 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise with olive oil
• 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sour cream or crema
• 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
• Salt to taste
• 1 or 2 crispy fried-boneless chicken thighs (store bought optional)
• 1 or 2 store bought waffle (any flavour) cut into 12 triangular pieces
• Smoked paprika for garnishing
• Crispy fried collard greens or kale (1-inch pieces) for garnishing
- Heat a wide-bottom 3-quart (3L) pot over medium-high heat, add salt and vinegar (to assist
with removing eggshells easily after boiling). Add eggs, bring water to a boil, remove the pot from heat and let eggs stand covered, for 18 to 23 minutes (depending on the size of the eggs). Drain off the water and run cold water over the eggs until they feel cool to the touch.
- Remove eggshells and discard. Cut eggs in half on a cutting board, gently remove yolks
without compromising the shape of the eggs, place the yolks in another medium bowl. Mash
the yolks with a potato masher or fork to fine grains of yolks.
- Add mayonnaise, Dijon, sour cream, lemon juice and whisk until smooth and creamy. Season
with salt to taste and whisk again. Add the yolk mixture to a piping bag with a star-tip fitted (or
use a tablespoon) and pipe the mixture into the centre of the eggs, transfer to a platter.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 12 bite-size pieces, add on top of the waffles, use a toothpick to
secure off-centre on the eggs, drizzle with syrup, garnish with paprika, collard or kale and serve.
Source: Chef Raquel Fox (islandgurlfoods.com)