Celebrate the season with this colourful and tasty combination of spring vegetables seasoned with fresh dill in this Italian-inspired quiche.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup 5% light cream or milk
- ¼ tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces fresh asparagus
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 9-inch (23cm) deep-dish pie shell, baked
- ¾ cup asiago or havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
To prebake pie shell: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line frozen shell with foil (making sure edges are covered) and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place on cooling rack, lift out foil and pie weights and cool.
Decrease oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook asparagus, onion and red pepper, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas; cook 1 minute.
Cool slightly and spread over base of pie shell. Sprinkle with cheese and dill.
In large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
Tip: Shredded Cheddar cheese also works well in this recipe.