Yield: 6 tacos
1 ½ cups sweet potato flour
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup warm water, plus more if needed
2 cups pre-cooked mutton meat or beef chunks, shredded
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
¼ sweet onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ cup diced sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup crushed tomatoes
½ cup (125 mL) green onions
1 Scotch Bonnet Chili or Jalapeno, diced (optional)
¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire
1 Tbsp (15 mL) browning
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Raquel’s Seasoning Salt (see recipe)
¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper (optional)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, oil and mix with a fork. Gradually add water while mixing with hand until the dough comes together in a ball. If dough is too sticky add a little flour, if too dry add a little water.
2. Dust a clean surface with flour, knead dough and form into a log. Divide into six equal pieces depending on the size of tortillas.
3. Use two sheets of parchment paper cut into squares, place one ball of dough between the paper in the centre of a tortilla press (you may also use a rolling pin). Press or roll the dough into a thin circle.
4. Heat a nonstick medium skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches smoking point. Add one tortilla, sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a spatula a place into a warm kitchen towel on a plate. Repeat with the other balls of dough.
5. Heat a medium skillet with 3 Tbsp of oil over medium heat, add sweet onions, bell pepper, potatoes, and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic cook 1 minute, add paste stir and cook for an additional 1 minute.
6. Add all other ingredients to make a gravy and stir. Add meat and stir to coat in gravy, season to taste and remove from heat. Divide and add filling to tortillas, serve garnished with creamy avocado salsa verde or salsa rojo, pickled red onions, crème fraiche or your favourite toppings.