Thanksgiving will not be the same without my family’s favourite and creamy sweet potato casserole dish. One taste and you’ll forget the marshmallows for this sensational, crispy pecan-cracker crust.
1 cup (250 mL) Goldfish Cheddar or Original crackers
1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
¼ cup (125 mL) butter, melted
4 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup (125 mL) butter
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
zest of 1 orange
½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish with butter and set aside.
2. Add the crackers to a food processor and pulse a few times to crumble coarsely, transfer to a medium bowl. Add the pecans, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, butter, mix and set aside.
3. Bring a 5-quart (5 L) pot with lightly salted water to a boil, add potatoes, let cook for approximately 15-25 minutes or until tender when pierced. Drain and mash with butter, transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add sugar, vanilla, zest, pepper, stir well. Add eggs and mix to combine. Transfer to baking dish,
spread out evenly.
5. Sprinkle with the topping mixture, transfer to the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Allow to
Set 20 minutes before serving.